Just get your coveted new iPhone 6 Plus from Amazon? Haven’t had time to replenish the best video player app for your iPhone 6 Plus & iPhone 6 armed with iOS 8? No biggie! Here I sort through the iOS Apple store and pick out the top Best iPhone 6 Plus Video Players with a desire to aid you to utilize your new iPhone 6 Plus for video playback.
Best video player apps for iPhone 6 Plus
Price: $2.99 / Free
OPlayer is a fairly good iPhone 6 Plus video player app playing regular videos as well as HD movies smoothly. Extra features such as attachment playing, lock screen, TV out and iTunes backup simply make it more powerful. When people think highly of OPlayer, they generally refer to the paid version. The free version is indeed less functional.
Supported formats: Video such as XVID / DIVX AVI, WMV, RMVB, ASF, H264, MKV, TS, M2TS; Subtitles – SMI, ASS, SUB, SRT, TXT; Audio – MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC.
- Most audio&video formats support
- Multiple audio track support
- Subtitles support
- Multiple language support
- Ability to change aspect ratio
- A built-in browser
- A built-in downloader
- Resume function
- Ads in Lite version
- Complex interface
- AC3 codec in OPlayer no longer played
AirPlayit/AirPlayit HD is one of the best and most effortless ways to stream videos from your desktop computer to your iPhone 6 Plus. Just download and install a small server application on your desktop computer, select the folders you wish to share over your network, and you’re good to go. In addition to regular audio/video content, it also supports purchased movies from iTunes store (DRM protected).
Supported formats: MKV, M2TS, AVCHD, TP, MPEG-TS, AVC, MOD, MPEG1/2, WMV, ASF, AVI, MOV, RM/RMBV, FLV, MP4, H.264, M4V, WTV, WebM, etc. and 1080P/1080i HD videos in multi formats
- No need to store video on iPhone 6 Plus
- Stream video directly from desktop
- Support stream 1080p video
- Support play DRM protected
The App sometimes crashes and doesn’t always function upon input request.
3. VLC for iOS
VLC for iOS is rather basic, but supports a wide variety of video types and it is even smart enough to warn you in case your device isn’t capable of playing a file smoothly. It allows users to sync video files from Dropbox, iTunes, and embedded upload web servers (including UPnP media server).
Supported formats: Common video formats
- Neat interface
- Compatibility warning for low-end devices
- Difficult method for importing videos (via SSH)
- Laggy on older devices
- Crashes unexpected and shows inferior performances compared to its peers
RockPlayer2 is a free video player for iPhone 6 Plus that has got just about everything. The interface looks professionally designed, and the playback is smooth for all formats. Most notably, if you want to share the videos from your library, RockPlayer2 is your best bet.
Supported formats: MKV, AVI, RMVB, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4, TS, MPG, DIVX, etc.
- Support for subtitles and lossless audio
- A lot of import/export options
- Customizable gesture controls
- Auto import for camera roll videos
- Audio doesn’t work under lock screen or in the background
- Choppy playback for 1080p videos
Price: Free / $3 for Pro
PlayerXtreme HD is a powerful video player which is able to run files in almost any types and more importantly it can play HD 1080p video files without quality loss. It supports streaming video & audio files over SMB, UPNP, and WIFI as well as downloading files to the APP over the local network.
Supported formats: 3GP, ASF, AVI, DIVX, DV, DAT, FLV, GXF, M2P, M2TS, M2V, M4V, MKV, MOOV, MOV, MP4, MPEG 1/2/4, MPV, MXF, OGM, OGV, PS, QT, RM, RMVB, TS, VOB, WEBM, WM, WMV, etc.
- Plsy videos in various formats
- Provides an array of solutions (USB, Wi-Fi and iTunes) to transfer videos flexibly.
- Offers a great control over the video subtitles.
- Set passcode to restrict accessing your files and the interface seems like the desktop computing environment
- Limit on online streaming features in the free version
- Struggles with some formats and large videos
Those Video player apps mentioned in this post also work for iPhone 5S, 5, 4S, etc.
The bottom line
If you have checked out all of the top (free) iPhone 6 Plus video player apps here, but still like the way the default video player works, you can use a professional video converter tool- Pavtube Video Converter to convert all kinds of videos to iPhone 6 Plus compatible MP4, which also enables you to play all kinds of movie files on your iPhone 6 Plus.
And if you want to grab audio & video stuff on your own Blu-ray and DVDs, and put them onto your iPhone 6 Plus for on-the-go viewing, a decent Blu-ray/DVD ripper for iPhone 6 Plus available may help you achieve the goal.